Friday, December 4, 2009

How to Date a FIRST YEAR Law Student.

I found this on facebook. AMAZING....

How to Date a 1L

Fidelity:
• Just because I never call you back or I text you a week later, does not mean I’m not interested, or I’m cheating on you. Really, I'm not that deep. I don’t have time to even consider what kind of signal I’m sending or how you might interpret it. I'm just not sending it because I. Did. Not. Have. Time.
• Just because I talk about that guy/girl from my class incessantly does not mean we are sleeping together. I actually don’t even like him/her, we just spend 14 hours a day together so it’s hard not to repeat their name.
• Speaking of sex…when I have a window of opportunity, you need to drop everything. That window might close in 5 minutes and it might not come again until after LRW.
• And if I only last those 5 minutes, it’s no indication of my real performance ability– it’s just that I have to get back to the library.

Communication & Language:
• If you want me to actually read your email, label it with the name of one of my classes (civpro, con law, exam, etc).
• If you get a real live phone call consider yourself lucky, it’s the equivalent to spending a day together.
• Essentially we’re down to text messages and a booty call.
• I may talk funny and disproportionately use the words burden, rational, substantial, reasonable….and injury. See attached Glossary of Terms in the Index. Please know what LRW stands for and that a Tort is not edible but that I can’t explain exactly what it means either.
• Please download the attached LRW schedule into your PDA. Circle those days in your calendar and know that the 7 days preceding I will turn into a psychopath.
• My sense of humor might seem a bit warped because I can now joke about murder, rape, euthanasia, and sexual harassment. It’s really a sign of maturity and nothing else, but you might not understand.
• Know my professor’s names, nicknames, idiosyncrasies, and physical endowments or abnormalities. It’s not strange, but funny that I comment on their genitals, facial hair, boxing ability, or how they’d look naked. I have to sit and watch them everyday, what else would you start thinking about? Nod when I begin to channel them, and if you can mimic them back – even better.

Support:
• Don’t ever, I repeat EVER, try to encourage me by using the word ‘fine’ in any iteration. I.e. “I’m sure you’ll/it/everything will do/be fine” is prohibited. o Instead, when I am complaining or crying, remind me how incredibly hard this is and that you can’t believe how I am able to make it, the only answer is that I have superhuman strengths and therefore I deserve mad props. And tell me I am going to be an excellent lawyer.
• I have no idea what is going on in the outside world so I might sound a little ignorant when we’re talking with your parents. Please don’t make me feel worse – just whisper a few current events nuggets into my ear, I can make up the rest. Remember, I’m a lawyer.
• Gifts you ask? Food, food, and food. Preferably of the hot-meal variety - please no granola bars, any bars, sandwiches, pizza, or 85c cookies. Or you can send me an assistant who will do things for me that a normal person has time for like: laundry, taking out the garbage, paying my bills, changing my sheets, reminding me to shower…
• On the subject of gifts - you won’t be getting anything for a while, and thank you for understanding that I have forgotten your birthday and Christmas. For the next 3 years. Valentine’s Day – not a chance, it’s a made up holiday anyway.

Aesthetics:
• I am well aware that I look like crap on a stick. Just wait ‘til May.o And don’t remind me. Instead of telling me I look really tired, try this: “You look like you really could use a massage, here – put your feet up”.
• When we first met I know you probably liked my fresh, youthful baby face. Learn to embrace the new rugged, creased, homeless-man at times look.
• My shower and primp frequency might not be where it used to be. And around those circled LRW days in your calendar, it will be close to zero.• I will brush my teeth though - for me that is ‘dressing up’.

4 comments:

  1. You could make this into dating a first year medical student!
    lol
    Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh! It's really funny :D
    http://www.thewannabewahm.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loveeeee itttt this made my day!!! law skool finals is on my track right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much thanks for composing such an intriguing article on this point. This has truly made me think and I plan to peruse more. Personal Injury Lawyer Lakeland

    ReplyDelete

Awwww!! You like me..YOU realllly LIKE me!